Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Daniel 3 - Trial by Fire

Sorry for the delay today.
faith
noun
1.
confidence or trust in a person or thing: 
2.
belief that is not based on proof: 
3.
belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion:

Lets look at verses 17 and 18.


17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us[c] from Your Majesty’s hand. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.”

I want you to read that again. 

They tell King Nebuchadnezzar that you can throw us into the furnace, and our God will deliver us, but even if He doesn't He is still God. What an amazing statement of faith!!

As a kid I can remember thinking that God would answer all my prayers just the way I wanted. I would lay in my bed, say my prayers, and ask God for all the toys I wanted at that time. I was really into He-Man (see photo below for those too young to know who that is) and I would ask God to place He-Man action figures on the door step of our home. The next morning I would run out to the front steps, and be highly disappointed that God had not place the He-Man action figure where I told Him too. Basically as a child, I saw God as a glorified Santa Claus. 


How many of us look at God in that way? We look at Him and say, "If things don't go my way then I'm checking out." We turn our back on God, because we lose our jobs or we lose an important relationship in our lives. Even if it's for a season, a lot of us grow tired of God, because we feel He isn't performing the "miracles" we need right now.

You see it doesn't take much faith to believe in something that always pulls through or always puts things back together when we ask Him too. If God made everything okay in the world then why would we need faith? 

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego's faith did not depend on God saving them from persecution or making things right. Their faith solely came from a genuine love and zeal for God. 


I want that type of faith. I want to stand on the doorstep of death and despair, pray to God for help, and no matter His answer give Him the glory!!  


John

1 comment:

  1. amen john. when reading today's chapter the word can jumped out at me. the men knew God could rescue them but they would serve him even if it costs the their lives. great things to ponder.

    ReplyDelete