Thursday, June 16, 2011

Daniel 6: Daniel's Longest Night

So much to say and not enough blog space to say it in! When I read this chapter, two things about Daniel just jump off the page at me: his integrity and his prayer life. I am humbled and challenged by his example in both areas… okay, let’s be honest – his example in both just kicks my fanny!

Daniel was now eighty years old; he had been involved in national politics in both Babylon and Persia for years (not exactly a profession known for integrity!). His competence and character led to greater and greater influence for him – and he made some enemies who wanted to trip him up. But no matter how hard they looked for some crack in his integrity, they could find nothing – and they knew his impeccable character was because of his faith in God. I wonder, what can unbelievers who work with us determine about our faith?

When it came to prayer, Daniel was a man of consistency. There is so much that we can learn from him. Take a moment and reread verse 10. Daniel has been in a foreign land his whole life. Three times a day he stops whatever he is doing – and he was a VERY busy man – and prays at a window facing Jerusalem. Why? Because, three times a day…
  • he reminds himself that Persia is not his home
  • he remembers that God has promised to take him somewhere else
  • he prays for God to deliver his people out of captivity
  • he gives thanks for the good things in his life  
  • he asks for God’s help in remaining faithful
  • he bows towards Jerusalem to remind himself who the true God is
Due in large measure to Daniel’s integrity and prayerfulness, God used him to influence an entire kingdom for good. How might he want to use you? Is there one small step that you can take to more closely align yourself with Daniel’s example?


Ken Jackson

1 comment:

  1. Making Daniel's Prayer My Own:

    Father, this is not my home. Thank you for preparing a place for me in your house of many rooms.
    You have promised me a future of hope--to prosper and not harm me.
    God please help me to remain faithful.
    God please deliver ________ out of his/her captivity and bondage in sin.
    Thank you, Lord, for the good things in my life.
    Remind me daily that YOU are the true God.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete