Friday, September 16, 2011

I Timothy 1: Growth Pains

I can't tell you how many times I have heard someone utter some variation of the following phrases:


"If I came to church the place might fall down around me"
"If I came to church lightning would strike the place"


These phrases are variations on the same theme:  There is no way that God could love me.  If he only knew how bad I am, or what I have done.  


It makes me very sad when I hear this, and I hear it rather often.  I understand where they are coming from.  We all know the absolute worst about ourselves.  We know all the dark and horrible things about ourselves that we hide so no one else can see them.  More than anyone, we know how awful, how bad we are.  So I get it.  But what makes me sad is the mis-understanding they have about who Christ is about.  What God is like.  Even sadder is that most of them have these mis-guided views of who God is, or who Christ is because of some of us.  Many of them have drawn these conclusions because of how God or Christ has been represented to them by the "Church" in general.  I am not talking about Cedarbrook in specific, although we are part of the big picture.  It is just that over the last century the church has projected far more judgement than forgiveness and acceptance.  That trend is changing little by little and for me that is where the challenge is.


Paul's powerful words in I Timothy 1:15-16
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.  But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life"


Challenge:  What are you doing to help people understand that Christ came to show them mercy, to love them.  Christ has enough patience for even the worst person out there.  Even for me.


May we all show mercy to those around us and begin to change the perception of Christ in this world!


Mathew McCabe

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting and informative that Paul points out that Jesus hand picked him, in spite of his past, to present the church to the Gentiles. This should comfort me when I am tempted to question why He would be interested in me. Jesus specifically stated that he came for the lost. That includes me. I have to argue with Paul's assertion that he is the worst sinner. Each of us fall into that category. But Jesus said, go and sin no more. That is all he requires.

    ReplyDelete