Thursday, March 24, 2011

Exodus 10 & 11 - The Ten Plagues

As I reflect on these chapters, I keep coming back to the question that God asks of Pharaoh early in chapter ten: "How long will you refuse to submit to me?" As plague after plague befall his people, I wonder: what is Pharaoh waiting for before he decides to obey what God is asking him to do? How could he be so stubborn in his refusal to listen to Moses? Why would he continue to "dig in his heels" even when it was obvious that ignoring God was going to lead to nothing but pain?

I am not sure that the answers to these questions lies only in some deep, profound, hidden biblical truth (although we could explore where and how God's sovereignty intersects with Pharaoh's free will - but I will leave that for one of Paul's blog posts!). I think the answer to my aforementioned questions may be painfully simple: Pharaoh refused to submit to God because he is a lot like me (and you).

I don't like others telling me what I have to do - and my guess is that you are not all that crazy about it either. Pharaoh was used to being the one who made the rules, gave the commands, and called the shots. He did not like being told what to do - even when it was God doing the telling! He simply refused to acknowledge or believe that there was One who was greater or wiser or had more authority than he did.

His life - and the lives of others - would have turned out so much better had he simply obeyed what God was calling him to do. The same is true in my life - and yours. When we read the Scriptures and hear God calling us to do something, how will we respond? Will we resist or submit? 

Ken Jackson

4 comments:

  1. Will we submit or resist? another thing to ask is "are we even aware?". God utilized Moses on a grand stage yet often in our everyday life we look at our "small issues" and go about handling life ourselves. God's love for all of us is so great that we struggle to grasp it at times and often miss His very interactions. Our "plagues" in life are His wake up calls. Am I aware of Him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was Pharaoh simply refusing to submit or did God keep him from submitting? In chapter 10 it says,"But God made Pharaoh stubborn as ever." In chapter 11 it says "but God turned Pharaoh more stubborn than ever."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I believe Pharaoh had the ability to honestly submit or resist God in this story. In Exodus 3:19, God says, "But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand compels him." God knew Pharaoh's heart - he knew its pride and stubbornness - and he could foresee that Pharaoh was not going to yield to him. Exodus 8:31 says after the plague of the flies that "But this time also Pharaoh hardened his heart and would not let the people go." Eventually, after repeated attempts to get Pharaoh to submit, God let him go the way of his own choosing, thus in effect, 'making his as stubborn as ever.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken, I know it was a meaningless typo, but I must confess I truly LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I read the last phrase you wrote. My thoughts started racing so quickly from a difficult donkey to a strong willed man who makes you angry and I couldn't help myself! Thanks for the chuckle during bible study :)

    ReplyDelete