Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Exodus 3 - Time for Action


Time for Action

Exodus 3

I imagine that when the day started, Moses wasn’t expecting anything out of his normal routine. He’d be tending his father-in-law’s flock and lead them to the far side of the desert. Easy enough, right?  But what started as an ordinary day wouldn’t stay that way for long. God had bigger plans – probably much bigger than anything Moses had anticipated for the day.

I love that about God. He meets us where we are, in the ordinariness of our lives, and shows up to do great things.

Reread verses 7-10.

No big deal, just go to Pharaoh and tell him to release the Israelites. And as I place myself in that story, I would probably respond in much the same way as Moses. Wait, me?  Who am I? Don’t you remember what I’ve done? I don’t really have what it takes to complete such a task, a calling. There’s probably someone better for the job. And God gently reminds Moses that it isn’t about him. Don’t lose sight of what this is about.

And God said, “I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain.” (v. 12)

The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is with you.  He’s with me. Let’s live that way and see what burning bushes are awaiting just around the corner. 

-Gina G.

1 comment:

  1. "Earth is crammed with heaven,
    and every common bush afire with God,
    but only he who sees
    takes off his shoes."
    Elizabeth Barrett Browning

    thank you, Gina, for helping us see

    ReplyDelete