Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Genesis 45 - A Long Forgiveness


I cannot imagine the emotions that were going through Joseph’s mind all these years he was away from his family. I wonder if he had a sense of angry, revenge, and/or hatred?  I know for me, when I finally became 2nd in command in all of Egypt, I would have been looking for some payback. Joseph obviously took the high road.

Let’s put ourselves in the brother’s shoes for just a second. Can you imagine how heavy would that moment have been? Just think, you have just been served a huge piece of “humble” pie, and your brother now has the authority to make you slaves. How ironic is that? I think if I had been standing in that circle, I would have pointed the finger at someone else. I would have said to Joseph, “Hey bro it was their idea, not mine.” 

It’s weird to me how protective the brothers were of Benjamin, but not of Joseph. Benjamin was the youngest and was treated differently by Israel AKA Jacob, but instead of them being jealous of Benjamin and selling him onto slavery, they protected him. I wonder if they had regretted what they had done many years earlier. To see there father respond the way that he did to the news of Joseph’s death, must have truly haunted them.

This story is filled with great little nuggets that we can take and apply in our lives, but let’s focus on just one application that we get from this story.

Forgive – to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, debt, ect.). To give up all claim on account of a debt, obligation, ect.

I think we can assume some blaming was going on in that room. In verse 24 after Joseph tells them to return to their father, he says, “do not quarrel among yourselves.” It’s like Joseph knew the whole way back to Canaan they would just yell at each other over who decided to sell him into slavery. It’s like Joseph wasn’t just forgiving them he had completely released them.

Right now ask yourself, whom do I need to forgive?? Who have I been holding this grudge against for years, and I need to totally release them. Also,  Matthew 6:15 says, “ But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not…I repeat…will not forgive your sins.” That is some pretty powerful stuff right there.  Actually that’s darn right scary.

So, again I ask, whom do you need to forgive?

John  

3 comments:

  1. Woah! There's a theme going on here, at least for me. I was reading today about an African Christian pastor named David Ekechukwu whom had a near-death experience. His wife had slapped him across the face after a heated argument the night before and he held a grudge against her.

    The next day, he got into a car accident and was rushed into the hospital. He frantically asked God to forgive his sins because he was certain he would die.

    He died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital and saw two large angels carrying his spirit in front of Jesus. He saw all the people there in heaven, praising God.

    David was also taken to hell and he witnessed the tormented souls there. He did not like what he saw and wanted out.

    The interesting part of this near-death experience is that the angel said to him, "If your record is to be called here, you will in no doubt be thrown into hell." He questioned the angel, who cited Matthew 6:14-15.

    You see, David did not forgive his wife; therefore, God would not forgive him! Fortunately for David, God sent him back to earth.

    My two cents.

    -Vince wright

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could not come at a better time in my life.

    Several weeks ago, I had a run in with a man that I allowed to control my anger and emotions. It seamed like every moment I was not occupied with something, my mind would think about the anger I had towards this one person. I found myself thinking about ways to get revenge or how to make him pay for what he had done.

    It took me weeks to realize just how much control I had allowed this man to have over me. I finally realized, I had not turned this over to God, I was trying to settle this my way. Once I kneeled down to ask God to take this hatred and feelings of revenge from me; I did not even notice over the next several days, I was no longer thinking about it. God truly took this from me. Not only did God lift this from my heart, he refocused my mind and energy to more productive things in life.

    Another lesson in my life: Let God fight your battles, for he will not only give you victory, he will set you free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only reason(s) I assume the bros were protective of Benjamin over the others were because Benjamin and Joseph were only two sons born to Rachel. Why they didn't protect Benjamin we will never know; I guess immaturity. Another question I have always had is why Reuben never told his dad after all those years what the bros did. As upset as he was you would have thought he would have spilled the beans sooner or later.

    The thing that strikes me most about this entire story is what focus Joseph had on God and the "big picture". He wept when he saw his bros but we don't know why. I guess it was just emotional overload (joy, peace, closure, fulfillment of his dream, vindication). I have a hard time believing that, as he sat in prison, that he didn't struggle with anger and unforgiveness. Either way, he had clearly dealt with it when he saw his family.

    Joseph's heart is a true example of God's forgiveness. He extended himself fully to his siblings without holding a grudge. He even chose to bless them with riches and protection. They didn't deserve it. It reminds me of God's grace, mercy and forgiveness of me. I will never fully understand or deserve it.

    ReplyDelete