Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Numbers 11 - Trial by Desert

I sometimes wonder how we so quickly lose sight of God’s faithfulness. The Israelites had just departed from the mountain of the Lord, on a journey of three days, and they began to grumble and complain. “God, we’re unhappy. This trip to the Promised Land is a lot harder than we thought. We don’t feel like you’ve provided like you should have. We’re sick of this manna. Remember Egypt? Yeah, that was better. Much better.”  Seriously? Did you guys forget that whole being enslaved part of your Egypt days? That was better? You’re really going to doubt God after all of the incredible ways he’s provided and protected you? Hmmm.

As I was reading, God reminded me of a season where I was quick to complain. I was living in Mexico as a missionary, and life was not going the way I thought it should. My checking account was consistently carrying a balance of about $2, adjusting to a new culture was difficult, and daily life was providing plenty of challenges. I wasn’t happy and I let God know it. I was having a bit of a temper tantrum, similar to the Israelites. How quickly I forgot that while my bank account said I had nothing and life was hard, God was providing for my every need.

When faced with trials, how will we respond? Will we grumble and complain or trust God to strengthen and help us?

“Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ’s return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless.”  -Philippians 2:14-16 (NLT)

-Gina G.

1 comment:

  1. We think not complaining is easy. We maybe even think that we're doing that. This chapter reminds me that even when God has given more than enough reasons to thank him, it's still my nature to think the glass is always half empty. Seems like Moses and God were both fed up w/ it. who wouldn't be?

    ReplyDelete