Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Luke 24 - The Final Link

Have you ever needed to tell someone you were sorry so bad that you couldn't wait to see them just to tell them how bad you feel for hurting them. When I was a child my next door neighbor was my best friend. He and I did everything together and we were inseparable. 


One day, he was gone to town with is mother and I took his bike for a spin. He had a new bike that I wanted to try out, but probably should have waited till he came back, but if you know me I didn't do what reason told me to do. After a few minutes of taking the bike for a spin I thought I would take it off a few sweet jumps. As you probably can guess where this story is going I crashed pretty bad. I bent the tire frame and I knew I was in trouble. After telling my mom and getting in serious trouble with her I knew I had to tell my neighbor. I had knots in my stomach and I was so anxious just to tell him. As soon as I saw his mom's car pull into their driveway I ran as fast as i could to tell him what happened and told him I was sorry. 


Obviously he was upset but he accepted my apology and we moved on as friends, and of course my family paid for a new tire and frame.


12 Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened.


I love this part of this chapter. This is a man who just denied his best friend, and he was the one disciple that wanted to see if Jesus was alive. He wanted to believe the ladies that had just told him that Jesus was alive. 


I maybe speculating but I think Peter wanted to make it right with Jesus. I know after he denied Christ it weighed heavy on his heart, and just as much as he wanted to see Jesus alive, I think he may have wanted to tell Jesus he was sorry. 


Peter is one of those people in the Bible we can all relate to. He made mistakes and we saw the real side of him a lot in the Bible, but he also did some amazing things. For me this is one of those moments! 


And again, Matt I am so sorry about your bike.


John

2 comments:

  1. The following skit has had a profound impact on me recently (I think these guys are AWESOME). So much of what John G. wrote about Peter is exactly what makes this story real to me. I can't relate to seeing a friend return from the dead, but the feelings of those involved, are easy for me to understand. Peter's urgency to see Jesus--to make things right, and then Christ's heart for his friend, overwhelm me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhoFEuw2GPA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugg, yes. I think we've all been there; you die a thousand deaths waiting for that moment you have to fess up. John, thanks for helping us see this scene through Peter's eyes...

    ReplyDelete