Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mark 13 - A Day to Dread


In high school this chapter stressed me out. With Y2K drawing near and the claims of what might happen, there was still much I wanted to accomplish and I wasn’t quite ready for it all to be over. And those Left Behind books about the rapture fanned the fire to my overactive imagination. Sometimes keeping me up into the wee hours of the morning. I wanted to graduate high school, get married someday, have kids, and perhaps even live the American dream our culture promised was so fulfilling. However, none of that could happen if Jesus came back. You know, before I was ready. God could you just hold off a little longer? I’m not ready, but if you give me just 10 or 20 more years, then maybe I’ll have my life in order. I’ll stop doing the things I shouldn’t be doing. I’ll get to fit in all that I want to. Deal?

My perspective in those days was quite skewed. I was selfish. I was focused on the here and now all the while losing sight of eternity. I wasn’t living with a spirit of expectancy, but rather of dread.

“However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows. And since you don’t know when that time will come, be on guard! Stay alert!” –Mark 13:32-33 (NLT)

No, we don’t know the day or hour. And we don’t need to because we do know our calling. Our job is to preach the gospel, to share the good news with those around us. Be on the alert. Don’t let the owner find us sleeping. Do be doing the right thing. Live as fully devoted followers of Christ. Love others well.

Let us use our days wisely, in anticipation of his return!

-Gina G.

No comments:

Post a Comment