Monday, April 18, 2011

1 Samuel 17 – Giant Killer

The Biblical story of David is an epic in the true sense of the word.  Here near the beginning, David slays a giant.  It is a near miracle and demonstrates his right to the throne like Arthur pulling the sword from the stone.  Later there will be a woman and before it’s over David will be both adulterer and murderer.  David has feet of clay just like you and me, but God never leaves him.  Why?

One answer is found here in today’s chapter.  Learning about Goliath, David asks, who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?   I recognize this voice.  I’ve heard it before.  So have you.

If you were to curse the U.S. Marine Corps (the way Goliath curses Israel and Israel’s God) in the presence of my older son, he would not be able to hold his tongue.  Before you knew what (or who) had hit you, he’d be on his feet and you’d both be out the door to “discuss” this further in the parking lot.  Something similar would happen if you spoke ill of a certain young woman in the presence of my younger son.  Like David, my sons are in love. 

There’s a reason Israel’s greatest warrior-king is also her greatest poet.  And a reason why David’s life is blessed, charmed, in spite of his feet of clay.  David is in love with the God of Israel and the story that unfolds is epic.

- Paul Abbott

4 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4DAbfnHzM

    Click on the link. I kept thinking of this song the whole time I was reading the passage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna Maria, that was so awesome! Thanks!

    Thanks Paul, we SO need reminders like this one. Not just that we have feet of clay (pride, temptations, lust, arrogance...), but also that the POWER OF LOVE conquers giants! Like a "Toy Poodle barking up at a Great Dane", we too can stand tall, no matter our height, and say: "back off enemy, I KNOW who I am in Jesus!"
    No one has loved me more than MY GOD, no greater love could restore my soul like the death and resurrection of His SON! And to love Him back because He loved me first, oh what an honor, what Marine love takes over my poet soul!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no character study I appreciate more than that of David. His epic highs and painful lows seem to be the hallmark of his life. If anything, David was real. He was raw and real. There was no mask or pretense. He was young in this story and his personality was passionate. I would imagine that Saul, who struggled with faith, figured David would be killed.

    It always struck me funny that David took 5 smooth stones. I guess he figured he might miss 4x? I guess that would be the worst... to get all the way out there and not have enough stones. Possibly at this point in the story David still believed his personal battle experience against bears and lions (which he bragged about) would be his greatest advantage? In other words, although his heart was in the right place maybe he thought the battle would be won by *his* strength and skill and not divine intervention. The Lord showed (over and over again) how He would supernaturally go before David and fight his battles for him but maybe David still thought it was his strength.

    I still wonder if David really thought he would win. I wonder if he walked away that day with a new sense of how in control God really was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this insight, Paul. David didn't always get it right, but by golly the man was in love with his Lord!

    ReplyDelete