Wednesday, April 20, 2011

1 Samuel 20 - Jonathan’s Loyalty

Promises. That’s what I thought of when I read this chapter. Up until now we’ve seen numerous promises made by God to his people. Back in Genesis, God promised that never again would the waters of a flood destroy all life. The visual reminder of that promise: the rainbow. Later, he promised Abraham that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars in the sky. In Exodus, he promised that he would free the Israelites from their oppressive circumstances in Egypt and bring them to the Promised Land – a land flowing with milk and honey. I could go on, but you get the idea. God is a God of promises. And he keeps every one of them.

Now David and Jonathan were good friends and loved one another deeply. They made a promise to be loyal and always care for each other.

Jonathan said to David, “Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the LORD, saying, ‘The LORD is witness between you and me, and between your descendants and my descendants forever.’”

After Jonathan had died, David remembered that promise and showed kindness to Jonathan’s son. (See 2 Samuel 9).

Promises are powerful. Let’s hold on to God’s and work to keep the ones we make.

-Gina G.


3 comments:

  1. I too was struck by the loyalty of this friendship...such an example for which to strive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my mom' s little wooden "treasure box" sitting on the coffee table. In it there were small cards with scriptures of God's promises. For each specific circumstance, the Word of God has a specific assurance, a promise that our God is present and always loyal. A Father, a Friend, a Comforter that never EVER leaves us nor forsakes us. The promise he made my parents came true.
    "Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it." Prov. 22:6
    As I grew older the only possible sense I could make out of life was to repent and come running back to the God of my parents. The ONE and ONLY living God! Even when we are unfaithful HE remains FAITHFUL! Alleluia h!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff, Gina. Easy to hear; hard to do.

    ReplyDelete