Saturday, April 16, 2011

Psalm 23 - A Shepherd’s Song

How many times have the words of Psalm 23 flooded back to my soul when I’ve allowed stress or anxiety to pull me far from God’s pastures?  Like a wayward lamb, I need help getting back to the quiet waters I was made for.

To those who would dismiss this reliance on God as a crutch, I would simply ask, “Have you seen these limbs of mine—so prone to wander, so prone to stumble?  It seems I’m made for crutches.  His rod and His staff—they comfort me.  His Words guide me back home.

We all need to put great words on our tongues to lead us home.  And there are few words as great and beautiful and wrapped in truth than the words of Psalm 23, penned by a man after God own heart.  If you have five minutes, you can listen to the Psalm here—put to music by Jon Foreman:

"The House of God Forever"


- Reuben Smith

4 comments:

  1. What a relaxing, soothing, and comforting song. Just like the verse it comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel challenged each time I read familiar scripture to not read it as if I have read it a hundred times before. Because Psalm 23 is popular even among those not necessarily devoted to their walk with God, it can be extremely difficult not to get caught in the "mundane trap" as I read each verse.

    I love writing in my Bible and each time I read this passage I add new thoughts as God reveals "new" truths. I thought I would share a couple of my favorites :)

    - For those not aware of many sheep-like behaviors, sheep HATE rushing water…the fear of being swept away in the tide keeps them from drinking. Because of this, a shepherd must build a dam to create quiet waters for them to quench their thirst. I love that God knows our fears and insecurities and weaknesses just the same and brings us to a place of rest if we are faced with too much turmoil. He knows how much we can handle.

    - The shepherd carries a rod not to hurt the sheep, but those who attack the sheep. Likewise, the Lord does not wish to harm us, but protect us.

    - Perhaps more than walking through the darkest valley, I fear sitting in the presence of my enemies. But God is preparing that place for me. He is with me there just as he has been with me through death.

    Okay, enough from me :) Thanks Paul for the challenge to read the Psalms… in addition to the one80, that is also shaping my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said Audrey! WOW... Just the thought of being in the House of God Forever...I will fear no evil! Evil of cancer, evil of loneliness, evil of financial burdens, evil of depression... Name your "enemy", your evil! I will fear NO evil for my God is with me! In our walks through the valley His staff is there to protect us! Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Israel many years ago and we visited the "valley of the shadow of death". It is truly massive, desolate and pretty much what I think of when I think of despair. This valley connects Jericho with Jerusalem so people did actually use it as a pathway from what I understand. It changed the way I read this chapter forevermore after seeing the actual place. I have wondered SO many times exactly what David was thinking about when he wrote this chapter. Where was he? Why did he pick this valley as his object when writing about the Lord's protection and not fearing?

    ReplyDelete