Thursday, April 14, 2011

1 Samuel 3: Transition Team

As I read this chapter, I was reminded of the question posed by noted theologian Lily Tomlin: “Why is it that when we speak to God, it’s called prayer, but when God speaks to us, it’s called schizophrenia?”

Why would it surprise us or strike us as odd that that God wants to speak to us? Think about this question in terms of a close relationship that you have with someone. What would that relationship be without communication? If you love someone, you talk with that person, they talk to you.

In our text we find that God is speaking to Samuel, but Samuel does not recognize God’s voice; he doesn’t know that it is God talking to him. Think about this for a moment. This means that it is possible for God to speak to us and for us not to realize that it is God speaking. That is a sobering thought! What might we miss out by not recognizing his voice?

Samuel’s experience shows us that hearing God’s voice is a learned behavior; it may take us some time and training to hear God’s voice. His experience also shows us that God can speak to anyone. He does not restrict his voice to Christian leaders or spiritual superstars. Samuel was probably only twelve years old at this time – he was no spiritual giant (at least not yet!). If God was able to speak to and through Balaam’s donkey (Numbers 22), he can certainly talk to you and me!

Taking a lesson from Samuel, we can open ourselves up to recognizing God’s voice in our lives by inviting him to teach us with the prayer, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.” Lots of ordinary moments in our day can be filled with this invitation, and filled with God’s answers to this invitation. We have read what God said to Samuel… what might he say to you?

Ken Jackson

4 comments:

  1. I can distinguish which child of mine I am hearing just by the sound of their breathing - even in the middle of the night, in another room. This came through just being near them all the time so that I naturally became familiar with their unique voices. So we have to spend time near (available to) God and in His Word (His voice). There is no shortcut - no substitute for just spending time. And I find my time is the most difficult thing to give; it requires that I be on God's schedule today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "no shortcut - no substitute for spending time" w/ God. Amen to that .

    ReplyDelete
  3. We often confuse the voice of God with the voice "in our heads". I know there has been numerous times; I wanted an answer to a prayer, and lost patience waiting.I talk myself into moving forward without a clear answer, only to end up in a mess or bad situation.

    God will answer and talk to us through people, things, or events, when he knows the time is right. He will answer our prayers with a yes or no; if not, then he is telling us to wait. Yes I used that word I dislike so much "wait". We by nature, want the answer now and within our schedule. God taught me (through some pretty tough lessons)to be patient, he has it under control...we only think we have it control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with janet that there are no shortcuts and my time is the hardest thing to give.
    another cool thing in this chapter is eli's response to God's judgement. in the Message eli says,"he is God. Let him do whatever he thinks is best." i do not always have that confidence that whatever God thinks is best is really the best for me.

    ReplyDelete