Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mark 1 – Sudden Impact

“Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.” I
At this point in Jesus’ ministry there was a lot going on. He was calling disciples, loving people, teaching, performing miracles, and all the while being pursued by large crowds. I’m guessing his days didn’t offer much quiet. Yet what I’m struck by is the fact that he made space for it. Before anyone had stirred in the house or there was movement on the city streets, he sought out a place free from the distractions, noise and interruptions. 
When was the last time you left that smartphone behind, put the Facebook browsing aside, turned off the music or TV, or got out of bed instead of hitting the snooze button five times, to be with your Creator?
I’ll admit that sometimes the things from that list win over time spent with God. I allow distractions or a sometimes-hectic schedule to take priority. I can be tempted to believe that my days are too busy and there simply isn’t enough time to do all that which I should and need to. But when it comes to time with my Savior, my excuse of busyness or anything else I might come up with is lame.
There’s a reason that Jesus continually spent time away from the crowds, seeking out a place of quiet to be alone with God, to pray, and listen. It’s important!
Solitude. Seek it.
-Gina G.

3 comments:

  1. Oooooooppphhhhfff

    another solid blog, gina!

    it is so true. i always say i am too busy or i will just do it later. it is always never worth it.

    and what trips me out is the fact that the Lord always delights in the time that i do spend with Him. No condemnation or guilt. just love.

    it is always better when i choose the Lord!

    ahhhh. thanks for the reminder, G. solitude. get it.

    -cha

    ReplyDelete
  2. We SHOULD not wait till we are old to gain wisdom and get this simple truth ingrained in us...As much as people can be a source of energy and being productive can bring satisfaction, there is absolutely NO substitute for what is gained when in solitude with HIM. Only then can our service to others reflect HIS light. Only then can our desires begin to align with His. Only then can faith begin to move mountains... one pebble at a time. Gina and Cha... I can only imagine what kind of wise old ladies you two will become! I think our Father chuckles and LOL when He looks upon the two of you practicing His presence!
    Thanks for inspiring us older sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!
    I can totally see a picture of Gina & Charity as two wise old ladies sitting out on the porch in their rockers, happily tossing sage insights back and forth.
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete