Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Matthew 5 – Inflammatory Word

As a teenager I had quite the attitude. In my mind, I had much of life figured out and I didn’t need anyone to advise me otherwise. I was stubborn, prideful and selfish. I’m sure if you had asked my parents they would have readily agreed that I needed a serious attitude adjustment. And they were right!

Had I read Matthew 5 in those days, I would have just scratched my head and moved on with life because this chapter is so counter intuitive to what our culture teaches. Blessed are the poor in spirit. Blessed are the mourners. Blessed are the peacemakers. Rash anger is heart murder. Turn the other cheek. Love your enemies and pray for those that persecute you. I’m sorry, say what?

Midway through my high school years, I was invited to youth group at another church. I went because mine had nothing to offer in that department at the time. I saw these people with radically changed lives because they were actually living out what they believed. Their actions matched their words. It was there that I encountered Jesus and truly started living for him – I got that attitude adjustment I so badly needed! I was changed from the inside out.  

“But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.” –James 3:17-18 (NLT)

Let us continue to seek our wisdom from God so that our light will shine before men and they can praise our Father in heaven. Amen.

-Gina G.

No comments:

Post a Comment