Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mark 5 - Healer

I think the thing that stuck out to me in this chapter was the woman who pushed through the crowd just to touch Jesus' garments. Just think, her sickness had caused her to be "unclean" to the Jewish people of that time. She was an outcast and on the outside of society, and yet she wasn't going to let that stop her. She had 100% faith that Jesus could heal her from her illness, and that drove her to push through the mob of people.

The truth is though, the woman didn't know if Jesus would heal her. She didn't know if Jesus would even acknowledge her presence. She wasn't sure if she would even make it through the crowd. But that's what makes this so fascinating, because no matter failure or success the woman was going try.

I think the most amazing thing happens when she finally touches Jesus. Jesus stops and looks for her. ALL these people bumping up against Him, and shoving to get close to Him, and when He sees her He tells her... It was your faith that has healed you! (verse 34)  No matter how many times I read that it never gets old. It was her faith and not the way she prayed a pray. It was her faith and not the position she held in the church. It was her faith and not how many times she gave to the church. It was always about her faith!!

Does this mean every time you pray with faith that God is going to answer the prayer the way you want it? Unfortunately, no. If God did that every time then it would take much faith anymore. He would be nothing more than genie in a bottle.

Think about this, how much more faith does it take to ask God for help when He hasn't always answered those cries for help the way we needed Him to? Question, Do you think this was the first time the lady asked God to heal her?? I can't imagine a woman in such pain for so long is just now thinking, "hey I'll ask God for help." Think about the number of times in 12 yrs she prayed that God would heal her from her sickness, and for 12 years she wasn't healed. It took faith for her not to give up and pursue touching Jesus' garment.


On June 2, 2011 my family heard some of the best news we had heard in a long time. My father had been cured of cancer.  My family and I didn't know if God would heal my father, but no matter the outcome we were going to have the faith that God could heal my dad. I thank God everyday that He healed my father, but tomorrow if God chooses not to heal my dad, then I still have to have faith that He will in the future. That's what faith is all about.

John

ps - here's a link to a song by Hillsong that is called Healer. Try reading Mark 5 again with this song playing in the background. It completely changes the way you read it!!


3 comments:

  1. This song is just SO powerful! Thanks for the link!
    Mustard seed faith: to JUST touch Jesus' garment!
    The woman thought, “If I JUST touch his clothes, I will be healed.” ...HER BLEEDING stopped and she felt in her body that she was FREED FROM HER SUFFERING."
    BLEEDING: sometimes also referred to as the bleeding of the heart or the soul, of tormenting emotional pain... The HEALER can heal this kind of BLEEDING too!

    How sweet and personal: Jesus calls her DAUGHTER! HE kept looking for her! After 12 years as the outcast, it must have been balm to her soul to hear HIM call her daughter and to know that HE was LOOKING FOR HER!
    32 But Jesus kept looking around... “Daughter, your faith has healed you. GO IN PEACE AND BE FREE FROM YOUR SUFFERING”

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminded me of a David Ruis song called "No Other". I looked for a video but the only versions I found on the interwebs were covers and pretty bad at that.

    The part of the song that always hit me was:
    "And if I'm healed by just one touch of your garment, Lord. Then how much more of Your love is for me than I'm tasting..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the song Healer, but this is always the song that comes to mind when I read Mark 5 (which could quite possibly be one of my favorite chapters in the entire Bible) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJVd6KDf6oU

    ReplyDelete