Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mark 8 - Turning Point

Jesus offers quite an invitation in verses 34-37, yet it seems that not many people took him up on his offer. Perhaps it was the conditions attached to that invitation or that it was just easier to follow when it was convenient and entertaining. Free lunch. Healings. Miracles. When the weather was nice or the walk wasn’t too far. It seems much easier to follow Jesus then, doesn’t it?

We can easily make excuses about why it’s so difficult to follow Jesus now, to be fully committed to him. There’s so much more demanding my attention. Life is just different in our world today then back in Jesus’ day. Yet some things remain. The call is very much the same. You want to be a disciple? Deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow him!

There is still a price to pay. The things in our lives that have true value also come with a high price. The same is true of being a disciple of Jesus Christ. What will it cost you? What areas of your life do you need to change? What do you need to do to be more like Christ?

“When Christ calls a man, He bids him come and die.” -Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship.

-Gina G.

1 comment:

  1. He calls me to practice daily the 7 x 70 lesson of a few days ago. My cross, His cross. He forgave my hideous sins, I am to forgive those who daily mock my faith or try to diminish Christ in me. It is indeed an impossible task for me to accomplish. Only through the supernatural power of Christ in me can I practice forgiveness daily, smile, and go on. Yet, even though I practice His presence and know such facts, it is a daily battle, a daily struggle of the soul that many times proves me to be the looser. It helps sometimes to be reminded of the brevity of life here. In the end it is all about the ETERNAL, and that should be the focus of living. This "dot", our existence in the time-line of life, will have no significance if lived without forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete