Thursday, May 19, 2011

2 Kings 17: Postmortem

This is a very sobering chapter. Once again, we see the holiness of God clashing with the sinfulness of Israel. Once again, we see Israel’s stubborn refusal to repent and return to God’s ways. But, for the very first time, we see God withdraw his protection from his people, and the people from the ten-tribe northern kingdom (Israel) are taken into permanent exile in Assyria. 

God was doing EXACTLY what he said he would do (Deuteronomy 28:49-68, 32:1-47). The Israelites had repeatedly ignored God’s gracious acts and refused to listen to the warnings of the prophets that judgment was coming. But they did not listen. And, as a result, God “thrust them from his presence” (20).

How did God’s people get to this point? I think there are two phrases contained in verses 14 & 15 that provide the answer:
  • “But they would not listen…” They took God’s words to them for granted. They had forgotten the value and benefits of listening to and obeying God’s word.
  • “They imitated the nations around them…”  At this point in their history, Israel was not behaving any differently than the pagan nations they had vacated from the Promiseland during the time of Joshua.
These two sentences go a long way towards explaining how these people found them selves living lives far from God. I don’t think they set out to ignore God and his ways, but that is exactly what they ended up doing.

The thing that I walk away from this chapter with is this: if I do not listen and respond to the transforming power of God’s word in my life, there is a very real danger that I will find myself conforming to the world around me in ways that will draw me away from God. I do not want to let that happen in my life… how about you?

Ken Jackson

2 comments:

  1. Another thing that causes me to pause and think when I read this chapter is to seriously consider what are my idols or what gets in my way of truly following God's word. I don't like to think I have idols but I do. I don't have golden calves to which I pay homage but I do allow other things (i.e. busyness, other priorities)take precedent. Lord help me to surrender these to you so that I might be able to listen and be transformed into the woman of Christ you want me to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMOS 4, Monday's reading, comes back to today's scriptures as in a cycle. God instructs, sends prophet after prophet to warn the people to repent, and the people chooses to rebel and sin. Over and over and over again. God Almighty is a loving God and that is precisely why He chooses to warn us of the consequences of willful sin. That is specifically true to HIS people. We, His children, who carry his name, have the gift of his loving admonition. His forgiveness and grace baffle me. He can restore what the locust has taken, but when we know the consequences of sin and still turn our backs on Him, despising His guidance, that's when we reap calamity and "locust attacks". One just needs to read on to see that God does not give just a second chance: His patience with us is out of this world!! The street corner prophets no longer shout warnings to us. It is up to us to remain in His company, in His Word, in His house, in His Spirit, to let His light shine through the choices we make...

    ReplyDelete