Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Proverbs 4 - Life Advice


I’m guessing that your first thought in the morning isn’t: “I’m going to make some really horrible decisions that have the potential to ruin my life.” Yet most of us probably find ourselves choosing some foolish things each day that can eventually lead to destruction. We embrace kicks & giggles while ignoring their consequences. We seek the momentary pleasures of today all the while sacrificing our future. We focus on the bad while ignoring that which is good. And often it’s a lot of small decisions that lead us down such a path. Then one day we find ourselves blindsided by the events in our lives. What happened? How did I get here?

The author of this proverb (Solomon) offers some interesting insight. We find what we seek. We’re either seeking wisdom or we’re seeking foolishness. The former leads to life while the latter leads to death.

If you’re brutally honest with yourself, what is that you’re seeking?

“The path of the righteous is like the morning sun, shining ever brighter till the full light of day. But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble.”

-Gina G.

2 comments:

  1. "...a lot of small decisions that lead us down such a path."

    I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
    Psalm 119:10-12
    Proverbs 4
    20 My child, pay attention to what I say;
    turn your ear to my words.
    21 Do not let them out of your sight,
    keep them within your heart;
    22 for they are life to those who find them
    and health to one’s whole body.
    23 Above all else, guard your heart,
    for everything you do flows from it.
    Our choice to make...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some odd reason, my thoughts were led to the evil-ness of Osama bin Laden and the life of wickedness he chose when I read this chapter. I'm probably very much alone in my thoughts in that I am not rejoicing with those around me at his dismise. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want him living either so that he could be hurting more innocent people. I just have very mixed feelings about the rejoicing I see on tv. He was somebody's son who obviously did not choose a righteous path.

    ReplyDelete