Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Psalms 84 - Home Sweet Home

Most of you who have listened to contemporary worship music with in the last decade have heard the beautifully written song "Better Is One Day" by Matt Redman. The song is literally word for word from this passage of scripture, and I wanted you all to take a listen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIq1j59R6tI

How many of us could say that with conviction, that we would rather spend just 1 day in the presence of the Lord than a 1000 days anywhere else? I know for me that's way easier said than done. Sadly, I love the things that my life entails. I love spending time with my wife, children, family, and friends. I love spending time playing my guitar, shooting a round of golf with friends, enjoying the All-Star Special at Waffle House. To spend a 1000 days at the Urbana Waffle House would truly be "heavenly". Hahaha (that's me chuckling at how fat I would be if I did that) Here is a pic of what I might look like if I did.





What brings me back to reality are Psalms and scripture like this chapter. I trully believe that David meant every word in this chapter. Chapters like this make me realize how far I still need to go in my walk with Christ. I t reminds me how much I need to grow, so my selfishness could be pushed aside. I think a lot of us would say the same.

I want to make this my prayer and my focus for this week. That I long to be in the presence of God as much as David did when he wrote this Psalm.

John


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. That song has always made me wonder as I sang it, if I truly believed that one day in His courts is better than one thousand elsewhere. I too wish I could be in the place that that is my heart's desire. Unfortunately, I'm not there yet. The closest I can come is dreaming about sitting somewhere overlooking the Grand Canyon at sunrise or sunset singing praise songs at the top of my lungs. That comes pretty close to my idea of being in His courts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. You have to make the Youtube link go directly to the video. I went to YouTube to watch the song and just spent the last half hour watching talking animal videos!! I still haven't seen the music video. Talk about realizing how far I still have to go on my walk with Christ. I'm going to go watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally got hung up on the word "pilgrimage"...so I googled it and the first word that popped up was "adventure"...so the verse could read "Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on adventure". How cool is that? In the mundane of the day, I forget to keep my eyes open to this awesome adventure that God is taking me on in this life...and the blessing of strength that he gives to endure all the twists and turns.

    And Christine, when you're ready for that road trip, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried pasting the address into my browser but, when I got to Youtube it said the Video was not available. Robt

    ReplyDelete
  5. He posted the link correctly:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIq1j59R6tI

    It is my fav Matt Redman song. I echo John's words... I have so far to go in my walk with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete